Hennepin County's Facility Services is seeking an experienced Project Architect. This position reports directly to a Section Manager within the Design and Construction Division. The successful candidate will have experience managing design and construction projects, administering contracts, facilitating project meetings and/or giving presentations, budget planning, project cost accounting, and scheduling.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program.
Location and hours: This position is hybrid and will be performed on-site at various project locations within Hennepin County and remote as job duties require. Work hours will be Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position. This position is internally classified as an Architect, Project. Click here to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Manage and coordinate design, construction, and contract management of major facility capital improvement, operating, and facility preservation projects.
· Prepare capital and operating project budgets and manage them through project completion.
· Direct the work of multiple consultants on varied project types simultaneously from the initial proposal through contract close-out and occasionally beyond.
· Prepare bid evaluations for new construction and renovations and provide recommendations for contract awards; evaluate the cost of post-bid changes.
· Advise county departments on facility/space issues and assist departments in preparing analyses and capital and operating budget requests.
· Direct and coordinate with support staff assigned on a project-by-project basis.
· Prepare project descriptions and schedules and assist in development of project budgets in support of the county's capital improvement plan.
· Prepare a variety of written reports, briefs, project communication materials, and public engagement activities in support of capital project development.
· Support county initiatives including disparity reduction and climate action.
Need to have:
· A National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) accredited bachelor's degree or higher in architecture and four years or more post licensure experience as an Architect including professional experience in project development, preparation of contract documents, construction contract administration, and construction management.
· Must hold a current license from the MN Board of Architecture, Engineering, Land Surveying, Landscape Architecture, Geoscience and Interior Design (MN Board of AELSLAGID).
Nice to have:
o With healthcare facilities, public library, general office, and other public architectural projects as well as experience in all phases of architecture, including design and construction.
o Managing multiple projects ranging from minor remodeling to major construction projects concurrently.
o Writing and preparing reports, communications, and proposals.
o Evaluating bids for construction/remodeling and change orders and making recommendations for contract award.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of architecture and the ability to provide and/or oversee professional architectural and technical services.
· Knowledge of different construction contract delivery methods.
· Extensive knowledge in construction, construction documents, and construction contract administration, and their related application to construction management.
· Ability to:
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants at all levels in the implementation and coordination of projects and programs.
o Communicate effectively and succinctly in a variety of settings and styles with management and other high-level officials.
o Make decisions in a timely manner, with varying levels of information under tight deadlines; shifting priorities with changing work demands.
o Manage change effectively, anticipating and adjusting for problems and roadblocks.
o Use resources effectively and efficiently.
o Be dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of both internal and external customers.
About the department: The Hennepin County Facility Services Department provides a full range of facility services for county programs and services. The department:
· Identifies capital needs, responds to and supports capital projects identified by line departments.
· Develops and manages projects to construct new buildings, refurbish existing buildings, and maintain infrastructure.
· Operates and maintains buildings.
· Protects employees, contacts and property.
About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates may be required to complete a background check.