The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is seeking a Senior Cook at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility (PSF). This position will prepare and serve food, while maintaining and exceeding health and safety standards. The PSF operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Staff process about 30,000 people a year, with approximately 800 pretrial detainees in the jail at any given time. This position also requires supervising and working alongside inmates to perform food service tasks.Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral program page.Location and hours:This position is located at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility, 401 South 4th Avenue Minneapolis, MN 55415. The hours are primarily Monday through Friday, 5 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and every third weekend. Candidates must be available to work occasional evening, night, overnight, holiday, and weekend hours.About this position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position.This position is internally classified as a Cook, Senior.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.* An additional wage premium of $375 per month is paid when supervising inmate workers. In this position, you will:
· Plan and participate in daily production and service of all meals for inmates and staff; serve as a short-order cook in the staff dining room; set up and ensure inmate special diet requests are prepared correctly.
· Use cook/chill method of meal preparation and distribution.
· Ensure all products are above standards through continuous quality checks; maintain standards of sanitation and cleanliness in kitchen and dining areas.
· Maintain inventories of food and supplies in food service areas as appropriate to continuous needs.
· Supervise inmate workers use of kitchen appliances, including utensils and knives while maintaining safety and security within the kitchen operation and throughout the facility.
· Attend scheduled training sessions and unit meetings.
Need to have:
· Three years or more of cooking experience in the food industry.
· The ability to lift cases of food products weighing up to 40 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation.
· The ability to be available to work occasional evening, night, overnight, holiday, and weekend hours.