The Housing and Economic Development (HED) department is seeking an experienced economic development professional to join the Community and Economic Development division as the Economic Development Manager. This management-level position will direct the business development unit, develop and administer policies and strategies for entrepreneur development and small business support programs within the Elevate Hennepin portfolio, and oversee multiple programs including CEO Start, CEO Now, and CEO Next. This position will also work with a dynamic and results-driven team to help start and grow local businesses and implement the county’s strategies to reduce disparities in business ownership. Learn more about our work at www.hennepin.us/economic-development.Effective December 31, 2023, there will be a general salary adjustment of 2.5% to the minimum and maximum of the range. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral program page.Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the 701 Building, 701 4th Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415, and remote as job duties require. Work hours are flexible, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This position may require attending some evening and weekend meetings. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin. New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.About the position type:This position is full-time, benefit earning. This position is internally classified as an Economic Development Project Coordinator. Click here to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Direct the county’s business development strategy to meet disparity reduction goals and long-term wealth-building goals for entrepreneurs.
· Lead planning, outreach, execution, and reporting for Elevate Hennepin’s programming, including the online resource hub, one-on-one business advising through multiple consultant contracts, and cohort-learning programs that include CEO Start, CEO Now, CEO Next, Certified Access Academy, Elevate Tech Essentials, and Elevate Hennepin Talent.
· Manage a portfolio of vendor contracts, including vendor relationship management, performance monitoring, financial oversight, and outcome reporting.
· Develop and manage budgets.
· Establish and lead an effective communications strategy for the unit’s programming in collaborations with a cross-departmental team of professional communications staff.
· Evaluate program performance and compliance, track impacts of programs and provide actionable reports and proposals to funders and leadership.
· Foster relationships with city and community partners.
· Plan, organize, and supervise program implementation via direct report’s workplans, and via cross-team coordination.
· Represent Hennepin County in collaborative internal and external workgroups to further advance a range of economic development opportunities.
Need to have:One of the following:
· Master's degree in urban planning, public administration, business administration, or an approved equivalent academic area and four years of professional economic development experience.
· Bachelor's degree in urban planning, public administration, business administration, or an approved equivalent academic area and five years of professional economic development experience.
Nice to have:
o Working in entrepreneur development, small business support, urban planning or land use planning, public or private sector real estate development, or in other local community development related efforts.
o Supervising professional staff.
o Managing consultants and professional service contracts.
o Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with peers, managers, community and agency partners, and the public.
o Developing benchmarks and indicators, developing evaluation plans, conducting program evaluations, including experience with results-based accountability approaches.
o Coordinating ongoing data collection and report preparation to meet internal and external reporting requirements.
· Knowledge of:
o Best practices in entrepreneur development and small business support strategies.
o Effective communications and outreach strategies.
o Budget preparation and control.
o Effective supervisory practices and techniques.
o Principles of planning, program evaluation/performance measurement, program management, and policy analysis.
o Diversity and inclusion strategies with a focus on disparity reduction.
· Ability to:
o Manage, supervise, and develop subordinate staff, support individual development goals, and foster constructive team dynamics.
o Develop and maintain effective working relationships with customers of the department.
o Plan and organize complex projects.
o Work cohesively with other work units on shared projects.
o Communicate clearly and concisely in verbal and written form.
About the department:The mission of Housing & Economic Development is to build and strengthen communities by developing quality, affordable housing and creating healthy built environments that provide transportation choices and community connections, attract investment and create jobs. About Hennepin County:Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates may be required to complete a background check.If you have any questions, please contact: Pajoua Chang Pajoua.Chang@hennepin.us