$56,691.49 - $86,627.35 Annually
5/25/2023 11:59 PM Central
The Hennepin County Elections department is responsible for the administration and supervision of all federal, state, and local elections in the county and 800,000 registered voters. Hennepin County’s Elections Department is seeking an Elections Specialist – Customer Service. This candidate will be responsible for managing direct services to voters by leading the department’s customer service program area and will be responsible for managing broad administrative tasks supporting overall functions and operations of the department. This position will supervise and provide work direction to the customer service team staff responsible for maintaining voter inquiries via mail, email, and telephone; will develop and implement specialized training focused on election laws, rules, voter, candidate, and clerk services and have broad knowledge and understanding of all department policies and procedures. This position is critical to the department’s ability to provide accurate information and services to voters as part of broader department efforts to reduce barriers to voting and disparities among the voting population by improving communications and services to residents. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program. Location and hours: This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Hennepin County Government Center 300 South Sixth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55487 and remote as job duties require. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and are subject to change based on business need. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin. New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as an Administrative Assistant, Intermediate. Click here view the job classification specification.
In this position you will:
· Manage direct services, support and communications to voters, candidates, and local election partners.
· Manage broad administrative tasks supporting overall functions and operations for the department.
· Develop, implement, and administer specialized training focused on voter, candidate, and clerk services including election laws, rules, state, county and local processes and procedures and develop and implement specialized training focused on state election software systems, county software systems and department operational procedures.
· Provide supervision and work direction to customer service team staff; recommend program area policies and procedures and evaluate program area performance based on established goals and objectives.
· Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal partners across the organization including central services, IT, facilities services, security and communications as well as key external partners including city and school district election clerks, state and county election partners and vendors.
· Monitor and analyze current and proposed legislation and effectively communicate legislative proposals and changes to voters and the public.
· Coordinate with department staff ensure accurate communications, voter outreach, voter engagement and accurate public website information.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Six years or more of experience in general administrative work relating to the management of departmental/organizational operations or in a specialty area appropriate to the position.
o Bachelor's degree or higher in public administration, business administration, or other field appropriate to the position and two years or more of experience in general administrative work relating to the management of departmental/organizational operations or in a specialty area appropriate to the position.
Nice to have:
o Administering elections in Minnesota.
o Providing direct communication to customers of different levels of expertise via phone, email and mail.
o Developing specialized training focused on election law and election administration.
o Working with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Microsoft Excel.
· Ability to:
o Read and interpret Minnesota election law and Minnesota election rules.
o Troubleshoot issues to a variety of customers.
o Handle complex and detailed tasks in a fast-paced environment.
o Provide work direction to team members in a hybrid work environment.
o Work collaboratively with a diverse group of team members, including internal and external partners.
o Estimate potential challenges and risks and generate solutions.
· Knowledge of election statutes, rules, department policy and procedures.
About the department: Hennepin County Elections works with partners at the federal, state, and local level to provide voting services to over one million eligible county residents in over 400 polling places throughout the county. Program areas include voter registration, absentee voting, voter education and engagement, local election clerk training, voting technology, election day operations, results reporting and certification, recounts and audits, candidate filing, campaign finance reporting, violation investigations, and elections data stewardship. About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates shall be required to complete a background check.