The Project Delivery team in the Transportation Department is seeking a Graduate Engineer within the Bridge Division. This position offers opportunities for professional and technical growth through the Graduate Engineer/Professional Engineer promotional process, under the direct supervision of a licensed Professional Engineer or Senior Professional Engineer. The Graduate Engineer position is Level 1 of the Engineer Series.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program. Location and hours:
This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340 and remote as job duties require. There is no public transportation to this facility. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with flexibility. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Graduate Engineer in the Engineer series job class. Click here to view the job classification specification. In this position, you will:
· Assist the project manager with plan preparation of bridge design projects, including implementing standard design practices, computer aided drafting, organizing internal and external project meetings, and preparing cost estimates.
· Produce detailed construction plans and specifications for bridge projects by applying design criteria that include complex geometric layouts, developing typical construction sections, profile grades, and drafting functions.
· Interact and coordinate with internal and external clients/committees, including public and private agencies, citizens, or other affected interest groups during the design or construction phase of projects.
· Review and oversee activities of engineering technicians.
· Assist in completing bridge inspections.
Need to have:
· Bachelor's degree or higher in civil, electrical, or mechanical engineering or other engineering field appropriate to the position (May 2023 graduates will also be considered for this position).
· Registration as an Engineer in Training (EIT) with a State Board of Registration or the ability to acquire registration within six months of hire.
· Ability to regularly lift up to 50 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation.
· Ability to navigate rough terrain, working outdoors in extreme temperatures.
Nice to have:
· Experience with:
o Bridge design, bridge plan preparation, and in-service bridge safety inspection.
o Roadway design, plan preparation, cost estimating, material testing, or construction inspection.
· Proficiency with software programs such as ArcGIS, CAD/Microstation, Bentley design software, Microsoft Office tools and other spreadsheet, database, and word processing packages.
· Ability to:
o Implement the principles and practices of civil engineering in the design of engineering projects and programs.
o Read and interpret the AASHTO & MnDOT LRFD, MnMUTCD, MnDOT Standard Design Manuals and Technical Memos, construction plans, specifications, and other written forms of design guidance.
o Work well in a team environment and contribute to team success
o Prioritize tasks using time management skills.
o Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
o Coordinate work activities with county and contracted staff for successful project completion.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, as well as make independent engineering decisions using engineering techniques and procedures.
· Skill in remaining organized and attentive to project details.
About the department: We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration, and the responsible use of resources.About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (select Guest) Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a drug test and background check.If you have any questions, please contact: