Hennepin County's Transportation Operations department is seeking two permanent, year-around Highway Maintenance Operators. These positions will be responsible for preserving and maintaining the county's road systems through a regular highway maintenance program to ensure safe and convenient use of the county's highway system by the traveling public. This position includes snow and ice removal, bituminous overlay, milling operations, crack sealing, tree and brush removal, concrete repair, and drainage.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral program page.
Location and hours:These positions are located at the Public Works Facility at 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, Minnesota, 55340. There is no public transportation to this facility. Work hours for the summer are 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 4 days a week, and work hours in the winter are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional overtime may be required. Candidates must be available to work various shifts including day, evening, overnight, holiday, and weekend hours. Anyone indicating limited availability will not be considered. Based on current requirements, hires must live in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin. About these position types:These are full-time, benefit-earning positions.
· Work with traffic control for work zones; layout of traffic control signs, coning in the work zone, and flagging operations following the Minnesota MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) field manual.
· Operate a variety of equipment in hauling, spreading, or applying road materials.
· Assist with construction resurfacing, rubbish hauling, and repair operations.
· Perform ice and snow control with designated equipment including snowplows.
· Rake and spread asphalt, patch streets, and seal pavement joints.
Need to have:
· One or more years of experience in one of the following:
o Road construction and/or road maintenance.
o Operation of a commercial motor vehicle over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
o Operation and maintenance of farm equipment.
o Building and heavy construction industry.
· Valid Class B driver's license with air brake endorsement. A valid Class A driver's license with a fifth wheel hitch qualification, air brake, and tanker endorsements must be obtained within one year of employment.