Hennepin County Library is seeking a Native American Liaison to work with American Indian residents and communities at Franklin Library. The individual in this position will function as local Library Services staff member, serving all library patrons and using their skills, knowledge, and community connections and experiences to particularly support American Indian communities.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program.
Location and hours:
This position is located at the Franklin Library, 1314 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404. Work hours will be 8:45 am - 5:15 pm with Monday through Friday with some evening and weekend hours required.
About the position type:
This is a full time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as an Administrative Assistant.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Be an in-person presence in welcoming the community to Franklin Library through responsive customer service.
· Provide in-person services to library patrons including assistance with computers, job searching, and finding library resources.
· Perform a variety of patron service and materials handling tasks, including assisting patrons with their accounts and processing materials for circulation.
· Perform collection maintenance including selection, deselection, and redistribution of materials, including supporting the Franklin Library American Indian Collection
· Reach out to American Indian residents and communities to learn more about needs and to support connecting them to library services.
· Collaborate with partner organizations and lead local community engagement efforts to build responsive library services in American Indian communities.
· Work in partnership with Franklin library staff in coordinating library programs and services occurring at Franklin Library that meet the needs of the community and fulfill the mission of HCL.
· Implement library services and programs occurring directly in American Indian communities (e.g. pop-up library events).
· Develop, manage, and measure service outcomes to ensure work meets identified goals.
· Collaborate on systemwide teams to support service to American Indian communities throughout Hennepin County.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Four or more years of general administrative work experience relating to the position or in a specialty area appropriate to the position.
o Bachelor's degree or higher in education, public administration, or other field appropriate to the position.
Nice to have:
o Connecting with American Indian residents/communities.
o Providing customer service to a wide variety of patrons of all ages and backgrounds
o Building community responsive programming, displays and/or community engagement.
o Facilitating groups and guiding them to create new processes.
o Leading or participating in community engagement efforts.
o Using project management tools to coordinate community engagement efforts.
· Knowledge of:
o Principles and practices of community engagement.
o American Indian residents and/or community members, including cultural interests, needs, and barriers.
About the department:Hennepin County Library’s mission is to inspire, facilitate, and celebrate lifelong learning. Shaped by the information needs and aspirations of our residents, we envision the library as a shared space for enrichment and connection. Library services are an important part of thriving and interconnected communities, and we believe that every Hennepin County resident should have a library card and use it regularly.About Hennepin County:Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge - select Guest. Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.Final candidates may be required to complete a background check.If you have any questions, please contact:Majestanina VangMajestanina.Vang@hennepin.us