The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation (DOCCR) is looking to hire an Operational Financial Analyst. This position will perform a variety of routine accounting, budgeting, and forecasting functions along with various financial analysis. This position will require previous accounting experience with a strong understanding of accounting theory (an accounting quiz must be passed during the first interview.) This job may be a match for you if you love solving accounting problems, account reconciliations, correlating operational activity to budgets and forecasting, serving many different types of internal and external customers, and supervising a small team. In this position you will enjoy a strong and positive work culture and an interactive and cohesive team environment.Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program. Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Hennepin County Government Center at 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55487 and remote as job duties require. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, with flexible hours between 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position. This position is internally classified as an Accountant, Senior. Click here to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Perform various financial analysis and participate on special projects as requested then present findings and recommendations.
· Provide guidance/recommendations to the DOCCR finance leads in the development of budgets and forecasting.
· Work with other Hennepin County departments along with external governmental agencies.
· Perform lead activities for internal and external auditor requests.
· Perform supervisory duties and lead a small team in client billings.
· Ability to identify potential process enhancements in accounting, treasury, and client invoicing then develop and implement new procedures.
· Prepare and perform monthly reconciliation of general ledger accounts and transactions; journal entries; and year-end activities according to standardized governmental methods and procedures.
· Perform monthly reconciliation, authorization and documentation of employees’ expenses and validation that purchases are within county policy.
Need to have:One of the following:
· Six years or more of experience in a specific functional area of accounting, auditing, or financial management.
· Bachelor's degree or higher in accounting, business administration with an emphasis in accounting, or other specialty area related to the position and two years or more of professional experience in a specific functional area of accounting, auditing, or financial management.
Nice to have:
o Two or more years of governmental accounting experience.
o Using PeopleSoft Financials or other accounting systems.
o Operating Microsoft Excel by using specific functions/applications such as graphs and charts, pivot tables, and V lookup.
o Performing accounting duties such as accounts payable using a PO system, accounts receivable/billing/payment application, accounting related to payroll and journal entry adjustments to pay and benefits, annual audit requests, capital project accounting, collections, grant accounting, journal entries, reconciliations, and year-end tasks and duties.
o Preparing, analyzing, and/or reconciling month-end expense reports.
o Four or more years of general supervisory experience.
· Basic accounting theory knowledge (debits, credits, chart of accounts, how journal entries affect financial statements, etc.)
· Ability to:
o Have strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to demonstrate critical thinking.
o Handle multiple priorities and projects with minimal direction.
o Communicate well both verbally and in writing.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers/partners.
o Meet deadlines and produce accurate work in a fast-paced office environment.
About the department: The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation works to enhance community safety, promote community restoration, and reduce the risk of re-offense. Department staff and volunteers serve Hennepin County at more than 20 service locations ranging from correctional facilities to probation reporting offices and occupational training centers, delivering sustainable correctional services to more than 26,000 adult and juvenile clients. It is the largest community corrections organization in Minnesota. Learn more at www.hennepin.us/corrections. About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. This position may have access to systems or other documentation that contains HIPAA data. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check.If you have any questions, please contact: Brooke HaafBrooke.Haaf@hennepin.us