The Department of Community Corrections and Rehabilitation (DOCCR) is seeking one or more Probation/Parole Officers to join its Adult Pre-Adjudication Services division. These positions will involve the completion of bail evaluations on individuals booked into the Hennepin County Adult Detention Center and Conditional Release intake duties.Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program. Hennepin County employees in the PO job classification are encouraged to apply to be considered for a lateral transfer.
Location and hours:
These positions are primarily located at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility, 401 Fourth Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415 and will provide additional coverage at the Ridgedale and Brookdale probation offices as needed. These positions will be required to work mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends. These positions may also involve shift work, including afternoons, holidays and weekends.About these position types:These are full-time, benefit earning positions.These positions are internally classified as a Probation/Parole Officer.Click here to view the job classification specification.In these positions, you will:
· Evaluate client’s initial risk and needs, utilizing objective assessments and other screening instruments; interpret and assess the information to inform supervision and make referrals for treatment or programming based upon client risks and needs.
· Rely on research-supported practices, including motivational interviewing to increase intrinsic motivation to change and promote skill building by utilizing Evidence-Based Practices (EBP).
· Interface with the court/Minnesota Department of Corrections hearing process by writing reports for the court and court partners, attending hearings and providing testimony.
· Collaborate with law enforcement and criminal justice partners regarding client involvement in criminal activity to promote public safety.
· Maintain accurate documentation of case activity, including, but not limited to contacts with offenders, clients, victims, concerned parties and treatment agencies, utilizing department and offender data systems.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Associates degree in any field and four or more years of relevant full-time equivalent paid experience with clients served by the justice system or human services.
o Bachelor's degree in non-related field and two or more years of relevant full-time equivalent approved, related paid or volunteer experience with clients served by in the justice system or human services.
o Bachelor's degree in sociology, social work, criminal justice, psychology, counseling, law enforcement, education, or a related field, and one or more years of full-time equivalent paid or volunteer work experience with clients served by in the justice system or human services.
o Master's degree or higher in sociology, social work, criminal justice, psychology, counseling, law enforcement, education, or a related field; including the completion of a supervised clinical field work training/internship (if required by degree program).
o The principles of social learning theory and human behavior.
o Casework practices, conflict resolution and de-escalation tactics, interviewing and investigative methods.
o The criminal justice system, criminology, individual and group behavior, chemical dependency assessment and treatment.
o Legal procedures, therapeutic and strength-based approaches to motivating changes in behavior, assessment of needs and appropriate interventions.
· Ability to:
o Work successfully across cultures, respectful of lived experiences in all communications and demonstrate on-going expansion of one's own awareness and understanding of culture and active support for equity.
o Build effective, strengths-based relationships, be flexible and adaptive when working with clients, peers, supervisors, departmental priorities, and external stakeholders.
o Function independently within defined agency policy and procedures and maintain confidentiality of client information.
· Excellent communication, time management and task prioritization skills, and comfortable with evolving technology.