The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office (HCSO) Emergency Communications division is seeking a Public Safety Systems Administrator. This position is part of an essential team that covers a variety of areas responsible for overseeing and assisting with infrastructure and hardware components, installation, and software support that operates multiple critical applications to support public safety. This position will collaborate closely with the Computer Aided Dispatch system administrators, mobile system administrator, and multiple IT divisions within the county.The infrastructure support includes 911 positions, Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), VPNs, mobility platform, Mobile Data Terminals (laptops), and various programs that help 911 dispatchers answer roughly 650,000 calls annually, and immediately dispatch Police, Fire, and EMS to help those in need. The Emergency Communications division provides 911 dispatching and public safety services to roughly 50 combined police and fire departments throughout Hennepin County that operates 24/7/365. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral program page.Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the 911 Emergency Communications Facility at 1245 Shenandoah Lane North, Plymouth, MN 55447, and remote as job duties require. There is no public transportation to this facility. Primary work hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This position requires occasional work during hours prior to the start of the shift for equipment and software updates. Flexibility is required to respond to emergent and/or unforeseen circumstances to keep critical systems operational. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.About this position type:This is a full-time, benefit earning position.This position is internally classified as an Information Technology (IT) Analyst Level III - Technical.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.This position is eligible to receive an additional cash merit of up to $2,192.19 that can be earned annually based on performance.
In this position, you will:
· Analyze system performance, investigate new methods and technology to improve/enhance the CAD system, and communicate findings to the team, dispatch management, users in the field, and in the dispatch center.
· Perform routine system maintenance, cybersecurity awareness, application best practices, alerts, backups, upgrades, installations, hardware and software maintenance, and update and maintain data on servers.
· Onboard and manage new technology solutions; familiarization/training on new interfaces and platforms; coordination of best practices typically into test/dev systems, then into live environments.
· Organize and attend meetings, keep multiple stakeholders apprised of current project statuses, maintain certifications and training, mentoring, and collaboration.
· Conduct ongoing documentation in multiple applications (Jira, Confluence, Azure, Axios, Salesforce, EAM, etc.) of trouble tickets, project statuses, technical resources, help documents, and research.
· Ticket work, testing, troubleshooting, implementation, coordination, and problem-resolution.
· Create custom solutions and reports using SQL, database/server accesses, and other programming language tasks.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Six years or more of IT experience.
o Bachelor's degree or higher in an information technology field and two years or more of IT experience.
o Completion of an approved IT Hennepin County internship or completion of five college/vocational/technical information technology courses and four years or more of IT experience.
o Associate's/vocational/technical degree in computer science, management information systems (MIS), information technology, or an approved information technology field related to the position and four years or more of IT experience.
· Certification or ability to become certified in ITIL Foundations within 6 months of hire.
Nice to have:
o Supporting Business Intelligence, Business Information systems, and Public Safety Information systems.
o Supporting Command & Control Information Systems.
o Supporting mission critical, time-sensitive, and high-speed operations on complex computer database networks.
o Supporting web-based applications.
o With Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.
o Working with FBI/Criminal Justice Data.
· Knowledge in:
o Public Safety environments, including experience with CAD and Mobile Data systems, ARMER radio system, or 911 phone technology.
o Business analyst or project management.
o 12-volt vehicle wiring and a variety of peripheral devices.
o Network systems, including routers, switches, firewalls, VPN systems, and Microsoft SQL or high-availability database networks.
o Supporting Android & iOS (Apple) devices and cellular device networks.
· Ability to:
o Climb in and out of vehicles (cars, trucks, SUV's) and small spaces (trunks and underneath seats).
o Effectively communicate in verbal and written form with internal and external customers.
o Prioritize and multi-task to manage multiple projects in a critical, fast-paced environment on a high-achieving team.
o Use sound judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions.