Hennepin County Library is seeking a Senior Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist to provide leadership and support for department-wide efforts that advance our goal of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive library system for all. The Senior Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will play a key role in preparing library staff in all roles and at all levels with the knowledge, tools, and processes to embed Hennepin County’s core value of diversity and inclusion in their work; promote equitable policies and practices, authentic and inclusive engagement; and to actively reduce disparities and promote equity in Hennepin County. This includes the development of curriculum and professional development opportunities and serving as a consultant to staff at all levels and in all areas of the library. The Senior Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Specialist will also manage and facilitate strategic initiatives, projects and workgroups that advance diversity, equity and inclusion in alignment with the library’s new Strategic Plan(Download PDF reader). This position will report to the Library’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Coordinator.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral program page.
Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on site at a variety of Library and county building locations and remotely as job duties require. Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. with some flexibility.
Based on current requirements hires must live in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type:
This is a full-time, benefit earning position. This position is internally classified as an Administrative Assistant, Senior. Click here to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Lead and support strategic initiatives and projects of significant size and complexity that align with the Library’s new Strategic Plan(Download PDF reader) and advance our goal of being a diverse, equitable and inclusive library system for all.
· Serve as a consultant and coach to library staff and teams as they work to integrate equity in decision making, policies, practices, engagement and service delivery.
· Develop and facilitate professional development opportunities that prepare Library staff with the knowledge, tools and processes to promote equity, diversity and inclusion in our workplace culture and in the delivery of library service to residents.
· Develop partnerships and collaborate across Hennepin County Library’s divisions and service areas and with external partners, including consultants.
· Lead and support system-wide workgroups, teams, affinity spaces and Communities of Practice that are working to advance diversity, equity and inclusion goals and priorities.
· Facilitate discussions with medium to large sized work groups, possibly including staff, supervisors, managers, senior and executive leaders.
· Utilize quantitative and qualitative data to effectively measure progress, impact and support data-informed decision-making.
· Serve as a representative of the library at the county level and externally.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Eight or more years of experience in general administrative work relating to the management of departmental/organizational operations or in a specialty area appropriate to the position.
o Bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, or other field appropriate to the position and four or more years of experience in general administrative work relating to the management of departmental/organizational operations or in a specialty area appropriate to the position.
· Ability and willingness to travel to multiple locations around Hennepin County, some of which may not be accessible by public transportation.
Nice to have:
· Four or more years of related diversity, equity and inclusion experience.
· Three or more years of training and development experience which includes project management, training program management, leadership development and course design, development and implementation.
· Project management skills including experience managing multiple, concurrent projects of varying size and complexity.
o Providing coaching and consultation that empowers others to promote diversity, equity and inclusion in their work.
o Utilizing frameworks, strategies and tools to advance equity in policy, program and organizational decision making.
o Creating comprehensive training programs that develop skills and competencies of employees at all levels of the organization.
o In research, design, development, implementation and evaluation of training for diversity, equity, and inclusion professional development opportunities.
o In racial, gender, LGBTQIA2S+, neurodiversity, and differing ability equity.
· A resiliency and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion that reflects a deep understanding of current thinking in the field, an ability to translate best practices into strategies and action and remain committed through complexities and challenges.
· Presentation, group facilitation, verbal and written communication skills.
· Demonstrated ability to:
o Facilitate effective group process and decision-making.
o Collaborate cross-divisionally to move work forward.
o Establish and maintain culturally effective working relationships with individuals from various groups and backgrounds which include employees, team members, and community members.
About the department:
Hennepin County Library’s mission is to inspire, facilitate, and celebrate lifelong learning. Shaped by the information needs and aspirations of our residents, we envision the library as a shared space for enrichment and connection. Library services are an important part of thriving and interconnected communities, and we believe that every Hennepin County resident should have a library card and use it regularly.
About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (log in as Guest).
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check.