The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is seeking a Detention Sergeant to work in the Adult Detention Division (ADD). The Detention Sergeant will supervise and direct the work of deputies and support staff assigned to the Hennepin County Jail.
Location and hours:
This position is at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility located in downtown Minneapolis at 401 South 4th Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415. This position requires working a flexible schedule including days, evenings, overnights, on-call, weekends, holidays, and requires being on call 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, and 365 days/year.About the position type:
This is full-time, benefit earning position. You must be a current regular or probationary employee of the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office to apply for this position. Limited duration employees not eligible.
This position is internally classified as a Sheriff Detention Sergeant.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Supervise, coordinate, and direct the work of deputies and support staff assigned to the county jail.
· Monitor and evaluate current staff members; determine staffing needs and prepare daily work assignment schedule; develop and implement formal and on-the-job training programs for all jail staff.
· Supervise inmate population including verifying daily inmate count for the ADD; monitor health and welfare of all segregated inmates; review special needs of inmates (i.e., physical or mental health issues, behavioral issues, and/or safety issues) and respond appropriately.
· Review staff reports, logs, and behavior sheets for inmate information; investigate inmate rules violations and determine recommendations for the resolution of issues.
· Lead and direct jail staff in response to emergency situations.
· Maintain discipline and morale; recommend disciplinary action and commendations.
Need to have:
· Four years or more of Detention Deputy and/or corrections officer experience (juvenile or adult) and two years or more of experience within the Hennepin County Adult Detention Division.