Hennepin County Transportation Asset Management division is seeking two Interns to join our team. As an intern, you will gain hands-on experience in areas related to civil engineering, roadway asset management, and public works.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral program page.
Location and hours:
These positions are hybrid and will be performed both on-site at various job sites and remote as job duties require. The ability to travel around Hennepin County to conduct field work and attend meetings is required.
On site meetings and field work start location will be at the Hennepin County Public Works Facility at 1600 Prairie Drive in Medina, MN 55340. There is no public transportation to this facility. These positions will start in May or early June and last for 3 months with the possibility to extend up to 6 months. Start and end dates will be determined after the candidates have been selected. The work schedule is Monday through Thursday, 6:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and Friday 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
About these positions:
These positions are full-time, limited duration, non-benefit earning internships.
These positions are internally classified as an Intern II.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
In these internships you will:
· Assist with field data collection, of roadway assets (traffic signals, retaining walls, catch basins, culverts, etc.), database maintenance, and pavement surface condition surveys
· Gather a variety of field data with Trimble technology, including GPS, photos, measurements and asset attributes, including photos and measurements, to ensure the asset database is up to date
· Quality check and compile data used in annual reports, project reports, and various cost analysis reports
· Utilize the Windows operating system, Microsoft Edge, and Google Chrome internet browsers
Need to have:
· Current enrollment OR recent graduate (within 12 months) in vocational/technical or undergraduate program in engineering, land surveying/highway engineering technology, geography, GIS, urban planning/studies, or another related field
o Math functions such as arithmetic, algebra, and geometry
o Construction equipment, materials, and methods
· Familiarity with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and ArcGIS
· Ability to:
o communicate with staff at all levels of the organization, using all types of communication methods
o work independently and in a team setting
· Strong organizational skills
About Transportation Operations: We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience.Hennepin County values employee retention and engagement through a culture of individual development. If you are a current employee looking for an internship you are responsible for communicating and seeking approval from your supervisor/manager on an arrangement on schedule and workload prior to accepting the paid internship position. The compensation for the internship will be paid at the amount advertised in this posting.