6/5/2023 11:59 PM Central
Fleet Services within Hennepin County's Transportation Operations department is looking for an energetic, highly motivated, and team-oriented Fleet Mechanic to join our team. This position will be responsible for maintaining, repairing, and performing diagnostics on a variety of equipment to include: hybrid, electric, gas cars and pickups, medium and heavy-duty gas or diesel trucks. Construction equipment including loaders, graders and skid steers, trailers, small engines, and powersport equipment.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program. Location and hours: This position is located at the Public Works Facility, at 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, Minnesota 55340. There is no public transportation to this facility. This is a second shift position, with work hours being 2 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., Monday through Thursday. This position requires candidates to be available for on call duty after hours, weekends, and holidays. About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position. This position is internally classified as an Equipment Mechanic Journeyman. Click here to view the job classification specification. The base hourly wage is $32.92 per hour. In addition to the base wage, there is a $.35/hour for a class A driver's license, $2.00/hour for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) master's in automotive or heavy truck, and $1.00 for the night shift differential pay. In this position, you will:
· Perform maintenance and repair activities on various pieces of heavy equipment, including but not limited to heavy duty truck and semi-tractors, material spreaders, excavators, graders, backhoes, loaders, skid steers, underbody blades, vehicles with dump bodies, snow plows, trailers, electronic, message boards and signs, street sweepers, and aerial equipment.
· Diagnose, service, and repair various systems that are found on automobiles and heavy equipment such as mechanical and computer electronic controls, hydraulic and air brake systems, air condition systems, steering, suspension, drive, train computer controlled automatic transmissions, and hydraulic systems, Tier 4 emission systems, and pneumatic systems.
· Use diagnostic scan tools related to light and heavy vehicles. For example, Snap-on Zeus, Mack/Volvo Tech-tool, Daimler DTNA/Diagnostic link 8, or International NED.
· Maintain automobile and heavy-duty vehicle functional condition by foreman assignments and feedback, conduct inspections, repair engine failures, repair mechanical and electrical systems malfunctions, and replace parts and components.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Completion of an approved two-year program in auto or truck mechanics from an accredited technical school and three years or more of experience in repairing and servicing automotive or heavy equipment.
o Five or more years of experience in repairing and servicing automotive equipment.
· Possession of four or more ASE certifications in either truck or automotive repair or the ability to obtain certifications within six months of employment.
· The ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit within six months of employment.
· Ability to:
o Lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
o Supply own full complement of mechanic tools.
Nice to have:
· Valid Class A or B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with tanker endorsements.
· One year or more of work experience using electronic testing and diagnostic equipment.
o Servicing light and medium duty trucks, class 7 or 8 trucks, light and heavy-duty construction equipment, small engine equipment, snowmobiles, boats, and other recreational equipment.
o Working in automotive, agricultural, construction or powersport.
o Using wire feed welders, stick welders, and acetylene torches.
If you have any questions, please contact: Brooke Haaf Brooke.Haaf@hennepin.us