The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office is seeking a Senior Food Service Worker at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility (PSF). This position will prepare and serve food and act as a lead worker to inmates who work in the kitchen.The PSF operates 24 hours per day, seven days per week; staff process about 40,000 people a year with approximately 800 pre-trial detainees in the jail at any given time.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.
Location and hours:This position is located at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility located at 401 South 4th Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415. Work hours are typically day shift with start times between 5 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. Candidates must be able to work every third weekend and holidays. Anyone indicating limited availability will not be considered.
An additional wage premium of $1.50 per hour is paid when supervising inmate workers and an additional wage premium of $1.00 per hour is paid for evening, Saturday, and Sunday shifts. About the position type:This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Food Service Worker, Senior.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Receive delivery of prepared food and confirm the correct food quantity and items were received.
· Use proper methods in receiving, handling, and storing food products; keep food at the correct temperature.
· Train and provide work direction to inmates working in the kitchen to include food preparation, setting up/serving food, proper cleaning of cooking/eating utensils, cleaning floors and kitchen surfaces, ensure safe operation of kitchen appliances, and supervise and monitor the use of utensils and knives.
· Monitor inventory levels, determine level of food production, and identify proper quality and quantities of products including ensuring that sanitation and safety standards are met.
· Set up workstations, operate dishwasher and other mechanical equipment, and monitor accuracy and appearance of food and food trays.
· Act as a lead worker and prepare and maintain records and reports.
· Recognize and respect cultural differences and provide culturally appropriate services.
Need to be 18 years or older and have:
· One of the following:
o Completion of three months or more of food service experience in an institutional setting dealing with special medical diets.
o Six months or more of general food service experience.
o Completion of 12 or more job related college or vocational/technical school credits.
· Ability to:
o Supervise and work alongside inmates to perform food service tasks.
o Lift and carry up to 45 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation and stand for extended periods of time.