Highway Maintenance Operator | Job Details tab | Career Pages (governmentjobs.com)
$26.80 - $29.82 Hourly
Hennepin County Transportation Operations Traffic division is seeking a permanent Highway Maintenance Operator for our Sign Shop. This position will support year-round traffic related initiatives and maintenance of county road signs, pavement markings, and guardrail assets, as well as support the county’s snow and ice control operation.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.
Effective January 1, 2023, there will be a general salary adjustment of 2.5% to the minimum and maximum of the range.
Location and hours: This position is located at the Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive in Medina, MN. There is no public transportation to this facility. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Candidates must be available to work various shifts, which include day, evening, overnight, holiday, and weekends.
About this position type: This is a full-time, benefit-earning position.
This position is internally classified as Highway Maintenance Operator. Click here to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Work with traffic control for work zones; layout of traffic control signs, coning in the work zone, and flagging operations following the MN MUTCD field manual.
· Operate a variety of equipment in hauling, spreading, or applying road materials.
· Assist senior sign workers with installation, maintenance and manufacturing of striping, guardrails, and roadway signs.
· Perform and/or assist in installation and maintenance of various pavement markings and roadway safety enhancement.
· Complete sight distance reviews and clear sight lines for signs, intersections and driveways.
· Support the county’s asset management efforts through data collecting, logging, and documenting (including night sign inspection).
· Perform snow and ice control with county snowplow equipment.
Need to have:
· One or more years of experience with one of the following:
o Road construction and/or road maintenance.
o Operation of a commercial motor vehicle over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
o Operation and maintenance of farm equipment.
o Building and heavy construction industry.
· Valid Class B driver's license with air brake endorsement. Valid Class A driver's license with air brake and tanker endorsements must be obtained within one year of employment and the ability to obtain a Hennepin County driver's permit.
· Ability to lift up to 70 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Nice to have:
o Working in a government public works agency.
o Working with installation and maintenance of signs, pavement markings, and guardrails.
o Maintaining roadways with snow plowing equipment.
o Operating construction related equipment in a work setting for at least six months.
· Knowledge of:
o Safe operation of equipment used in roadway maintenance.
o Safe and proper use of various hand and power tools.
· Ability to:
o Follow verbal and written directions.
o Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time in all types of weather conditions.
o Make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment in the field.
o Interact effectively and tactfully with the public, supervisors, and peers.
o Work as part of a team or work group.
About the Traffic Division:
The Traffic Division is responsible for the maintenance and operation of all county road Signs, Signals, Pavement Markings and Guardrail. The Division consist of approximately 30 staff that form three teams; the Sign Shop, the Signal Shop, and the Traffic Management Center to operate and maintain the following county assets:
· 55,000 Traffic Signs
· 9,000,000 LF of Pavement Markings
· 10,000 Pavement Messages
· 100,000 LF of Guardrail
· 800 Traffic Signals
About the department: We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources. About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at Welcome to the Bridge (hennepin.us) - select Guest option. Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future permanent or limited duration vacancies.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test and/or background check. If you have any questions, please contact: