Hennepin County's Transportation Operations department is seeking multiple permanent, year around Highway Maintenance Operators. These positions will be responsible for preserving and maintaining the county's roads system through a regular highway maintenance program to ensure safe and convenient use of the county's highway system by the traveling public. This program includes snow and ice removal, bituminous overlay, milling operations, crack sealing, tree and brush removal, concrete repair, and drainage.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.
Location and hours: These positions are located at the Public Works Facility located at 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, Minnesota, 55340. There is no public transportation to this facility. Work hours for the summer are 6 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. 4 days a week, and work hours in the winter are 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Occasional overtime may be required. Candidates must be available to work various shifts including day, evening, overnight, holiday, and weekend hours. Anyone indicating limited availability will not be considered.About these position type: These are full-time, benefit-earning positions.
These positions are internally classified as Highway Maintenance Operator. Click here to view the job classification specification.In these positions, you will:
· Work with traffic control for work zones; layout of traffic control signs, coning in the work zone, and flagging operations following the Minnesota MUTCD (Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices) field manual.
· Operate a variety of equipment in hauling, spreading, or applying road materials.
· Assist with construction resurfacing, rubbish hauling, and repair operations.
· Perform ice and snow control with designated equipment including snowplows.
· Rake and spread asphalt, patch streets, and seal pavement joints.
Need to have:
· A Valid Class B driver's license with air brake endorsement. A Valid Class A driver's license with fifth wheel hitch qualification, air brake and tanker endorsements must be obtained within one year of employment. (If you don’t currently have an airbrake endorsement for your CDL and if you were to receive a job offer, it would be contingent upon obtaining one prior to your scheduled start date.)
· One or more years of experience with one of the following:
o Road construction and/or road maintenance.
o Operation of a commercial motor vehicle over 26,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW).
o Operation and maintenance of farm equipment.
o Building and heavy construction industry.
· Ability to:
o Lift up to 70 pounds with or without a reasonable accommodation.
o Safe operation of equipment used in roadway maintenance.
o Safe and proper use of various hand and power tools.
· Ability to:
o Follow verbal and written directions.
o Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods of time in all types of weather conditions.
o Make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment in the field.
o Interact effectively and tactfully with the public, supervisors, and peers.
About the department: We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at bridge.hennepin.us/eligibility (select Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates may be required to complete a drug test, driver's license check, and/or background check.