As Human Resources Director, you will lead, direct, and perform Human Resource (HR) strategic, tactical, and technical work by ensuring the Office of Higher Education (OHE) is an employer of choice, with a welcoming, inclusive, respectful, and collaborative culture. As a strategic partner, you will develop and execute strategies that improve talent management including diversity, retention, and succession planning. You will provide agency wide human resources management leadership by managing the staffing and transactions function so the candidate and employee experience is positive and the important work of the agency is completed.
HR Team Management - Direct, lead, and manage assigned team members to meet the day-to-day HR needs of the agency's vision, mission, and goals by providing customer focused support to all staff and aligning their work to the agency's priorities.
Strategic Talent Management -Develop and manage programs that drive agency success and creates and leads the delivery of HR solutions including but not limited to: strategic planning; business continuity; development of diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) strategies; affirmative action plans; strategic talent acquisition (attracting, hiring, retaining employees and planning for succession); compensation; classification (conducting job audits to certify proper classification); selection; employee and labor relations.
Project Management -In support of agency priorities and goals, assistor lead various projects; act as a subject matter expert; represent the Agency on enterprise-wide teams; and complete other duties as assigned by the Deputy Commissioner.
This position reports to the Deputy Commissioner and will have supervisory responsibility over the human resources team and administrative support staff.
- Two (2) years of professional/supervisory/leadwork experience. A bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration, Organizational Development or a closely related field may substitute for one (1) year of experience.
The human resources experience must include the following:
- Full-cycle recruitment and selection which may include administering examinations and assessments
- Classification structures and job evaluation/analysis techniques applied to allocate positions to their proper classification level
- Knowledge of personnel related laws and policies(e.g., Fair Labor Standards Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Workers Compensation, Equal Employment Opportunity or Affirmative Action)
- Communications skills, both oral and written, sufficient to explain sensitive, controversial decisions to staff and leaders in a clear and concise manner
- Human relations skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective business partnerships and a positive work culture
- Ability to analyze problems sufficient to develop creative solutions and alternatives for consideration that will best meet the needs of the agency while also complying with human resources best practices, laws, rules, etc.
- Ability to obtain and maintain delegation of authority for the Office of Higher Education
- Experience interpreting current employment laws, regulations, and policies related to classification, recruitment, selection, hiring, promotion, and/or retention of employees
- Experience developing and managing Affirmative Action plans
- Experience with compensation program administration
- Experience with Human Resources Information system (HRIS) administration and HR processing and using spreadsheets and reporting software to provide reports for HR and for agency management
- Experience delivering presentations and training to diverse audiences at all levels of the organization while promoting diversity, equity, access, and inclusion
- Experience in a unionized environment
- Experience in project management and process improvement initiatives and change management
- Knowledge of data practices as it relates to data collected, created or disseminated in relation to HR and personnel data
**Successful candidate must pass past-employer reference checks and criminal history check**
It is our policy that all candidates submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
- SEMA4 Records Check
- Criminal History Check
- Employment Reference Check
- Education/License Verification
This position is located on the Careers website and you much apply online.