Do you have a creative passion for crafting media relations? The Operations/Administration/Internal division in the Communications department is seeking a student to participate in a full-time internship opportunity as media relations intern. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.Location and hours: This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Government Center at 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN and remote as job duties require. Work hours are Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. This internship will start in June and will last through mid-August with the potential to extend into the academic year.The intern will work approximately 40 hours/week. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.About this position type: This is a full-time, limited duration non-benefit earning internships. This position is internally classified as an Intern II. Click here to view the job classification specification.Note: You must attach a resume and two media relations content samples with your application materials to be considered for this position. Candidates may submit samples produced for another internship, student news outlet or class.In this position, you will:
· Draft, edit and send news releases to news media.
· Set up virtual and in person conference and media events.
· Maintain media contact lists.
· Coordinate and edit background information in response to media inquiries.
· Manage media mentions.
· Curate weekly media digest for county leadership.
· Collaborate with social media team.
· Support regular stand ups with other staff doing media relations.
· Take part in informational interviews and job shadowing with other county communications professionals and subject matter experts.
· Attend team and communications department meetings and training sessions.
· Engage with county and other learning and development opportunities of interest.
Need to have:
· Enrollment as a senior for Fall 2023-2024 or a recent graduate (within 6 months) in a bachelor's degree program in journalism, broadcasting journalism, or a closely related field.
· Completed advance news reporting or strategic communications classes.
· Write at an advanced level.
· Access to reliable internet connection and self-supported hybrid office space.
Nice to have:
o With media relations, including experience writing and editing press releases, setting up virtual and in person news conferences, and coordinating and editing background information in response to media inquiries.
o With Microsoft Office Products (Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams, Outlook) or equivalent Google products.
o With editing and project management software.
· Ability to:
o Be familiar with fast-paced environments.
o Handle multiple simultaneous tasks and working with the supervisor to set priorities to meet deadlines.
· Take initiative in solving problems and use sound judgment when approaching problems.