The Transportation Project Delivery department seeks an experienced Land Acquisition Agent to represent the county in negotiations and act as the primary point of contact and resource for the public during the acquisition process.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.
Location and hours:
This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Public Works Facility located at 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55430 and locations throughout Hennepin County to meet with clients and remote as job duties require. Typical work hours will be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and will be discussed in more detail at the time of hire. There is no public transportation to the Public Works Facility in Medina. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must live in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment. About the position type:This position is a full-time, benefit-earning position. This position is internally classified as a Land Acquisition Agent.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Conduct negotiations with landowners or their legal representatives for purchase of real property interests needed for transportation projects and/or sale dispositions no longer needed for transportation related purposes.
· Prepare standardized communications, deeds, easements and other real estate related documents and recording.
· Maintain system records, documents and prepare reports and correspondence. Conduct basic research on land prior to acquisition or disposition.
· Coordinate with staff and communicate project needs with their supervisor and peers to ensure their assigned land acquisition parcels are delivered on time and on budget.
· Establish and maintain trusting working relationships with internal and external groups and individuals, including other county staff, federal, state and municipal staff, elected officials, and the public.
· Work with county legal counsel on unsettled parcels throughout the condemnation process including testifying as an expert witness in a condemnation action.
Need to have:One of the following:
· Two or more years of college coursework in civil or transportation engineering, surveying, urban/regional planning, geography/urban studies, business, real estate or a related field and three or more years of real property appraisal or acquisition experience
· Note: Experience may be substituted for education on a year for year basis.
Nice to have:
· A Minnesota Real Estate license or Real Estate Broker's license.
o Utilizing databases as well as creating queries for reports, memos, and letters.
o Reading and interpreting engineering drawings and plans.
o With customer service.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to:
o Read, understand, evaluate, and explain appraisals of real property.
o Negotiate successfully for the purchase and disposition of real property.
o Communicate with staff and the public with tact and discretion.