Land Acquisition Intern – Learn the Eminent Domain Process for Transportation ProjectsHave you ever been curious how a roadway construction project comes to fruition? Have you ever wanted to know how a government agency is able to take property from its citizens for public use? The Hennepin County Land Acquisition Group is looking for an intern to help assist in new roadway projects that require the purchase of easements from private property owners. This process will involve reaching out to the property owners on a project, completing property valuations of the easements being acquired, negotiating with the property owner on a price for the easements, and then finally, the eminent domain process to formally take title & possession of the necessary easements should an agreement not be reached with the property owner.Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program. Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at Ridgedale Library, 12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka, MN 55305 and remotely as job duties require. Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, between 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. with flexibility. This internship is expected to last between August 21, 2023 - December 8, 2023. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin. New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment. About this position type:This is non-benefit earning internship position.This position is internally classified as an Intern II.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.Note: You must attach a resume your application materials in order to be considered for this position. In this position, you will:
· Shadow and support the Land Acquisition Agents as they work through transportation projects.
· Work with the pre-acquisition team to conduct property research and data collection.
· Learn about the eminent domain process and what it looks like from beginning to end.
· Attend project and team meetings to learn how the county operates internally.
Need to have:
· Current enrollment for 2023 – 2024 school year in an associate’s or bachelor's degree program in real estate.
· Access to reliable transportation to travel to sites throughout Hennepin County.
· Reliable home internet for working remotely.
Nice to have:
o With a real estate transaction, whether professional or private life.
o Providing customer service.
· Knowledge of easements and property valuations/appraisals.