The Asset Management Division of the Transportation Operations Department is seeking a Senior Engineering Technician – Permits Inspector to perform construction inspection on permit projects and assist with other related duties within the department.Hennepin County's Transportation Operations Department administers all functions associated with the county highway system. This department develops, operates, and maintains a safe, effective highway system throughout Hennepin County.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral page.Location and hours:This position is remote. Remote employees may be required to come on-site 0 to 12 days a year for work meetings, trainings, or for any other reasons that their supervisor may deem necessary (may include additional days for onboarding and new employee training). Supervisors will provide as much advance notice as practicable. Work hours are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. This position may require working overtime, including nights and weekends on a rotating on-call basis.Based on the business needs for this position, individuals must reside in Minnesota or have approval to work from a state authorized by Hennepin County as approved for out-of-state remote work. For a complete listing of allowable states, click here. Candidates must currently reside in or be willing and able to relocate to Minnesota or one of the approved states. Employees living out of state are responsible for all travel expenses when required to come on-site. Individuals who do not reside in or are not willing to relocate to one of these states will not be considered.New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.About the position type:This is a full time, benefit-earning position.This position is internally classified as an Engineering Technician, Senior.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Implement and enforce Hennepin County Ordinance 22 Right-of-Way utility permits by inspecting road construction or utility projects in the Public’s Rights of Way.
· Assist with the implementation of transportation permits.
· Assist with the implementation and inspection of access permits.
· Maintain Adopt-A-Highway program and event permits.
· Schedule, prioritize, and balance several tasks/projects.
· Collaborate with intra-department groups, utility companies, and outside agencies.
· Investigate potential or existing operational hazards within the county's highway system to protect the safety of the traveling public.
· Electronically document inspection notes and project activities.
· Perform required erosion and storm water inspections.
· Perform technical computer work during winter months such as preparing as-built plans, Microsoft PowerPoint presentations, and asset management data collection and entry.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Five years or more of experience in technical non-professional highway, land survey, geographic information systems application, or related engineering work, including specialized experience in the function performed.
o Current Certified Survey Technician (CST) Level 3.
o GIS Professional Certification (GISP).
o Licensed Land Surveyor in Training (LSIT).
· Note: One of the following may be substituted for one year of the required experience:
o Completion of an approved highway/civil engineering technology or land surveying training program.
o 30 college semester credits in mathematics, geography, computer science or engineering-related technical courses.