The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is seeking Detention Deputies to join the team! As a Detention Deputy you will utilize your interpersonal communication skills to supervise detainees in a pretrial detention facility. You will also be responsible for maintaining security of the facility and ensuring the safety of all inmates, staff members and visitors. The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is dedicated to serving the community with transparency, responsiveness, and compassion.Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitthe employee referral program page.Location and hours:This position is located at the Hennepin County Public Safety Facility at 401 South 4th Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55415 in downtown Minneapolis. The position requires working a flexible schedule including days, evenings, overnights, on-call, weekends, and holidays.*Starting pay is based on experience.About the position type:This is a full-time benefit-earning position.This position is internally classified as a Sheriff's Detention Deputy.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.Candidates who are offered a Detention Deputy position will be required to successfully pass a two-month training academy prior to being independently assigned in the jail. The anticipated start date is 11/06/2023. The probation period for this position is one year.
In this position, you will:
· Fingerprint, secure, transport, and release inmates.
· Conduct property and physical searches.
· Supervise custody of inmates and visitation.
· Staff security control rooms.
· Conduct regular security checks of the facility and housing units.
· Ensure inmate pretrial rights, arrange court appearances, and verify disposition of inmates returned from court.
· Respond to emergency situations and perform first aid when necessary.
· Maintain records on inmates; write reports on incidents occurring in the jail.
· Inventory and secure inmate cash and property.
Need to have:
· You must be 18 years old or older, and have ONE of the following:
o Two or more years of full-time approved work experience (e.g., supervisory or lead worker roles, customer service in guest/customer facing positions in hospitality, retail, sales, etc.)
o Two or more years of military duty.
o Completion of two or more years of college or vocational technical course work.
· Note: Approved related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.