Hennepin County has an opening for an Appraisal and Pre-Acquisition Supervisor in the Transportation Project Delivery department. You will be a key player in the appraisal, pre-acquisition, and disposition of real property to assist the county in delivering successful transportation projects. You will lead a dedicated team of staff and will be responsible for planning and reviewing appraisal valuations and engaging in policy and procedural matters to ensure regulatory compliance.Effective December 31, 2023, there will be a general salary adjustment of 2.5% to the minimum and maximum of the range. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral page.Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Public Works Facility at 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340 (minimum one day per week), and remote as job duties require, subject to change based on business needs. There is no public transportation to this facility. Typical work hours are Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. with some flexibility. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.About the position type:This is a full-time, benefit earning position.This position is internally classified as a Real Estate Supervisor.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Provide leadership to further department-based strategies that align with the county goals, mission, and core values for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
· Plan, coordinate, and ensure timely delivery of independent, contracted appraisals that meet state and federal standards for right-of-way acquisitions using county standard consulting services process.
· Perform appraisal reviews to ensure legal and regulations compliant appraisals from independent fee appraisers and ensure USPAP and MN/DOT Right-of-Way Manual and other regulations compliance.
· Establish and maintain effective relationships with internal team members including attorneys, agents, engineers and external legal representatives, other public agencies or groups.
· Effectively communicate both orally and in writing to plan and coordinate the acquisition, disposition, leasing, and regulation of property.
· Supervise pre-acquisition staff to complete complex acquisition and real estate projects; assist in the development of program priorities, schedule work assignments, and monitor staff and work unit effectiveness.
· Assist in budget preparation and expenditure management.
· Participate in determining program goals and objectives.
· Recommend and implement policies and procedures related to unit projects.
· Participate in selecting, training and development of new staff; conduct annual performance reviews.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Eight years or more of experience with real property pre-acquisition or acquisition, property appraisal, property leasing or property management.
o Bachelor's degree or higher in civil engineering, surveying, business, urban/regional planning, geography, real estate or related field and four years or more of experience with real property pre-acquisition or acquisition, property appraisal, property leasing or property management.
· Minnesota Certified Residential Real Estate Appraisal License.
Nice to have:
· Certified General Real Estate Licensure in the state of Minnesota.
· Professional certification and licensing as a real estate broker/representative.
· Two years or more of supervisory experience.
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
· Knowledge of:
o Federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations relating to land acquisition, and eminent domain proceedings.
o Real estate appraisal techniques, property values, legal descriptions, title research, and municipal zoning.
o Land use planning, legal documents involved in property transaction, real estate law, land surveying techniques, and roadway engineering principals.
o Partial acquisition appraising and eminent domain.
o Professional appraisal designation and record of successful completion of appraisal coursework.
o Diversity and inclusion strategies with a focus on disparities reduction.
· Ability to:
o Critically assess reports, studies, and appraisals prepared by independent professionals.
o Successfully negotiate purchase or use of property and right of way.
o Ensure independent contracted appraisals meet state and federal standards and meet delivery deadlines.
o Prepare administrative reports and Board Action Requests.