Hennepin County’s Transportation Project Delivery department is seeking a Senior Bridge Design Engineer. This position reports to the County Bridge Engineer and will be responsible for overseeing the design of bridges, miscellaneous structures, managing in-house and consultant design projects, and supervising and mentoring junior staff. In this position, you will have the opportunity to work with one of the largest structural inventories in the state that includes many culturally significant crossings, experience personal and professional growth through formal training programs, and a culture supportive of continuous improvement.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit theemployee referral program page.Location and hours:
This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340, and remote as job duties require. There is no public transportation to this facility. Work hours will be Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. with flexibility. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type:This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Senior Professional Engineer (Level III) in the Engineer Series job class.Clickhere to view the job classification specification. In this position, you will:
· Manage bridge replacement and repair projects.
· Design bridges using load and resistance factor design methodology; design and detail retaining wall systems and other miscellaneous structures.
· Develop electronic load rating files primarily with the software package Bridge Rating, for all county bridges to utilize for the analysis of overload permits, load postings, and rehabilitation/replacement projects.
· Supervise technicians and other junior staff assigned to the Bridge Division.
· Develop project budgets and estimates, schedule resources, allocate resources, and monitor budgets for all assigned projects.
· Manage bridge projects for in-house, consultant designs, and consultant contracts.
· Prepare environmental documents and permits for bridge projects.
· Prepare reports and correspondence, present, and communicate projects to the public and elected officials.
· Establish and maintain trusting working relationships with internal and external groups, including other county staff, federal, state and municipal staff, elected officials, and the public.
Need to have:
· Bachelor's degree in engineering field appropriate to the position and five years of engineering experience.
· Licensed as a Professional Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Registration or able to obtain a Minnesota license within six months of hire.
Nice to have:
· Current licensure as a Professional Engineer in another state (must obtain a Minnesota License within six months of hire).
· Two years or more of supervisory and/or management experience.
· Knowledge of:
o Project development for bridge projects.
o Structural analysis and bridge design software.
o Minnesota State Aid rules and federal regulations.
· Experience with:
o Load rating bridges.
o Bridge replacement design, maintenance, and repair projects.
o Analyzing and designing various retaining wall structure types.
o Drafting and detailing in MicroStation or other Computer Aided Drafting tools.
· Ability to:
o Communicate and present technical and sensitive information effectively, both verbally and in writing.