Hennepin County’s Transportation department is seeking an Engineer to develop construction plans for bridge replacement and design projects within the Bridge division of the Project Delivery team.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program. Location and hours:
This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340 and remote as job duties require. There is no public transportation to this facility. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with flexibility. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Professional Engineer (Level II) in the Engineer series job class. Click here to view the job classification specification. In this position, you will:
· Assist the project manager with plan preparation of bridge design projects, including implementing standard design practices, computer aided drafting, organizing internal and external project meetings, and preparing cost estimates.
· Produce detailed construction plans and specifications for bridge projects by applying design criteria that include complex geometric layouts, developing typical construction sections, profile grades, and drafting functions.
· Interact and coordinate with internal and external clients/committees, including public and private agencies, citizens, or other affected interest groups during the design or construction phase of projects.
· Review and oversee activities of engineering technicians.
· Assist in completing bridge inspections.
Need to have:
· Bachelor's degree in engineering field appropriate to the position and four years of engineering experience.
· License as a Professional Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Registration or able to obtain a Minnesota License within six months of hire.
Nice to have:
· Experience with:
o Bridge/roadway design, cost estimating, material testing, or construction inspection.
o Preparing plans, drafting with Microstation/CAD, or writing specifications for bridge design projects.
· Proficiency with software programs such as ArcGIS, CAD/Microstation, Bentley design software, Microsoft Office tools and other spreadsheet, database, and word processing packages.
· Ability to:
o Implement the principles and practices of civil engineering in the design of engineering projects and programs.
o Read and interpret the AASHTO & MnDOT LRFD, MnMUTCD, MnDOT Standard Design Manuals and Technical Memos, construction plans, specifications, and other written forms of design guidance.
o Work well in a team environment and contribute to team success
o Prioritize tasks using time management skills.
o Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
o Coordinate work activities with county and contracted staff for successful project completion.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, as well as make independent engineering decisions using engineering techniques and procedures.
· Skill in remaining organized and attentive to project details.