The Hennepin County Information Technology (IT) Department is seeking a student currently enrolled in or who has recently graduated (within 6-months) in a Project Management certificate program, associate's, bachelor's or master's degree program in communications, business management, IT or a related field to participate in a part-time IT internship. This position requires a level 3 security check as a requirement for employment.Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program
Location and hours:
This position is remote. Remote workers may be required to come on-site an average of 0 to 12 days a year for work meetings, trainings, or for any other reasons that their supervisor may deem necessary (may include additional days for onboarding and new employee training). Supervisors will provide as much advance notice as practicable. Work hours are Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. – 5 p.m. This internship will start on May 30th, 2023, and will last one year in duration. This intern will work approximately 20 hours/week.
While this position is designated as remote, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About this position type:
This position is a part-time non-benefit earning internship.
This position is internally classified as an Intern II. Click hereto view the job classification specification.
Note: You must attach a resume and cover letter with your application materials in order to be considered for this position. In this position, you will:
Have direct contact with the IT Project Manager and IT Project Management Office.
· Meet one on one with the Project Manager to discuss progress, questions, obstacles, and solutions; communicate availability; plan upcoming tasks.
Potentially meet with other IT Project Managers or IT Department members on a specific topic or task
· Participate in meeting planning and scheduling using county effective meeting best practices.
· Delivering small updates to the project team on your assignments and related information.
· Use Microsoft OneNote to manage meeting information.
· Create and distribute meeting minutes.
Gain exposure to project management foundational basic concepts and practices across the key areas of Project Scope, Schedule, Resource, Risk, Communication, Acquisition, and Budget Management such as:
· Understanding Project Manager/Business Analyst relationship and division of work.
· Gaining familiarity with the IT Project Management Office Best Practices.
· Learning to maintain basic project logs; create and distribute simple status reports.
· Creating and updating tasks in Microsoft Planner.
· Creating presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint.
· Collaborating with stakeholders via Microsoft Teams and/or SharePoint.
· Using Microsoft Excel to track and manage data; create visual reports using Excel charts; format the data for reporting and presentations; potentially create light data analysis and interpretation.
· Using existing project report data via Microsoft Power BI for light data analysis and interpretation.
· Learning several basic concepts and functions in Microsoft Project to create and update tasks, assign resources, and use the reports in MS Project; no Project Web Application/Project Server/Portfolio Management specific competency expected.
· Participating in upcoming Request for Proposal activities to gain exposure to government solicitation processes.
· Participating in county IT Project Management Community of Practice as available/relevant to goals.
Need to have :
· Current enrollment or recently graduated (within 6-months) in a Project Management certificate program, associate's, bachelor's or master's degree program in communications, business management, IT or a related field.
· Access to reliable internet connection and self-support remote office space.
Nice to have:
· Microsoft Office competency or equivalent Google apps.
· Experience with:
o Project management.
o Providing direction or leadership to others.
o Microsoft Word and Excel or equivalent Google products to create spreadsheets, reports and tables.
· Ability to:
o Talk in front of small groups.
o Be responsible, detail orientated and self-directed.
· Strong writing skills.
· Experience leading and directing others.
About the department:
Technology is the foundation of our work – and the work of every county employee. The Information Technology department is here to help our employees work smarter, faster and better. It is made up of 6 divisions: business solutions, enterprise architecture, enterprise development, finance and support services, operations, and special projects.
About Hennepin County:
Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile.
Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community.
Your future. Made here.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a background check post interview. Hennepin County values employee retention and engagement through a culture of individual development. If you are a current employee looking for an internship you are responsible for communicating and seeking approval from your supervisor/manager on an arrangement on schedule and workload prior to accepting the paid internship position. The compensation for the internship will be paid at the amount advertised in this posting.If you have any questions, please contact:Megan Baermegan.email@example.com internship2000