Join Minnesota's largest county government in the role of Legal Secretary Major Litigation in the Hennepin County Attorney's Office. The Legal Secretary - Major Litigation will provide administrative and clerical support to multiple attorneys for prosecution.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.
Location and hours:
This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Hennepin County located at Government Center, 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55487, the Hennepin County Health Services Building located in downtown Minneapolis at 525 Portland Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415 and remote as job duties require. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position:
This is a full-time, benefit earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Legal Secretary.
· Provide legal administrative and clerical support to attorneys in a law office setting.
· Gather, organize, and maintain documents/cases on various court calendars. Create a detention list, maintain, and process documents for charging on a deadline.
· Review complaints, proofread, and e-file/e-serve correspondence, motions, memorandums, affidavits, proposed orders, and other court documents with district court with a high degree of speed and accuracy.
· Proof, code, and efile appellate briefs and memorandums with state and federal appellate courts.
· Input, retrieve, modify, stored information in computerized systems; copy, fax, scan, email, e-file, and distribute documents to respond to a broad range of requests for information; interact in person and by telephone with the public, attorneys, all court personnel, other justice partners, and County Attorney's Office staff.
· Provide front desk/phone coverage on occasion in addition to providing backup secretarial assistance to others.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Two or more years of general office work experience, including one year or more of secretarial experience in a legal environment.
o Completion of a business school/technical college program as a legal secretary, legal administrative assistant, and/or paralegal.
Nice to have:
o Supporting multiple attorneys simultaneously.
o Preparing cases for prosecution.
o Filing documents with the courts through the State of Minnesota e-Filing.
o Preparing correspondence using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Access) software on a routine basis; advanced skills in working with Microsoft Outlook and/or a similar email/calendar program.
o Using databases and performing data entry.
o Proofreading; strong grammar and punctuation skills.
o Transcribing any of the following: CDs, WAV and/or other media files, handwritten copies, and/or other mediums.
· Ability to:
o Exhibit strong organizational and time management skills.
o Understand complex information/concepts and apply them effectively when dealing with ambiguous assignments.
o Interact with the general public and staff members with tact and discretion.
o Conduct oneself professionally and deal with confidential issues.
o Meet deadlines and produce accurate work in a fast-paced office environment