The Traffic and Safety division of Hennepin County's Transportation Department is seeking multiple candidates to work as Seasonal Sign Workers for the 2023 road construction season.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program. Location and hours: These positions are located at the Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340. The typical work schedule will be 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Monday to Friday, with occasional evening and weekend hours. Summer hours will be 10-hour days, Monday to Thursday. There is no public transportation to this facility.
About the position type: These are temporary, seasonal positions (non-benefit earning) that may last for up to six months during the 2023 road construction season (April–October). These positions are also available to accommodate a student's schedule and work from (June through August).
These positions are internally classified as Casual Laborer. Click here to view the job classification specification.
In these positions, you will:
· Have work responsibilities that include:
o Flagging traffic.
o Shoveling, raking, and sweeping.
o Installing and maintaining pavement markings.
o Driving a follow truck/coning truck during long line striping.
o Tree trimming, bush chipping, and debris removal.
o Installing signs and traffic control devices.
· Operate and program electronic message boards; deliver and set up message boards around the county.
· Perform other road construction/traffic maintenance related laborer tasks.
· Install and maintain traffic control signs and devices during bridge inspection and bridge maintenance work.
· Availability and willingness to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
· Ability to lift and carry items weighing up to 70 pounds with or without reasonable accommodation.
· Ability to stand for long periods of time, bend, stoop, and work on uneven terrain.
Nice to have:
· Experience working with traffic control and/or traffic control devices.
· Experience flagging on a road construction project.
· Knowledge of road and grounds maintenance practices and equipment.
· Ability to:
o Follow verbal and written directions, including the department's cellphone policy.
o Hook, pull, and back up a trailer efficiently.
About the department:
We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (Log in as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a background check.