Hennepin County's Facility Services department is seeking a Senior Professional Engineer to administer and monitor contractor contracts and coordinate the development and review of mechanical/electrical systems, program requirements, project design, and construction contract documents to assure satisfaction of program and quality requirements.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program.
Location and hours: This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Hennepin County Government Center - 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, MN with site visits to other county facilities as needed, and remote as job duties require. Work hours will typically be Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with some flexibility in start and end times. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin. New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.About the position type: This is a full-time, benefit earning position. This position is internally classified as a Senior Professional Engineer in the Engineer series job class. Click here to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Plan, implement, and oversee moderate to complex projects related to construction, alteration, renovation, space utilization, and preservation of engineering systems within Hennepin County facilities.
· Participate and recommend actions in engineering policy and procedural matters.
· Prepare project budgets and estimates, as well as schedule resources for their completion; assure all projects are on schedule, within budget, and in compliance with all building codes and Hennepin County standards.
· Serve as construction project engineer primarily on projects with significant complexity.
· Administer consultant contracts and monitor consultant performance as related to project development and implementation.
· Evaluate engineering/construction related bids and make recommendations for contract award.
· Coordinate the development and review of engineering systems, program requirements, project design, and construction contract documents.
· Incorporate sustainable guidelines, such as B3, throughout the various phases of assigned projects to align new and existing facilities with the County’s Climate Action Plan.
· Investigate and gather data for facility infrastructure projects; provide recommendations and technical support to work teams responsible for the repair, maintenance, and operations of Hennepin County facilities.
Need to have:
· Bachelor's degree in engineering or other engineering field appropriate to the position and five years or more of professional engineering experience.
· License as a Professional Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Registration or able to obtain a Minnesota License within six months of hire.
Nice to have:
· Experience with:
o Reducing energy use and managing energy related projects.
o Facilities Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC), fire protection, building automation, heat pumps, decarbonization, and/or plumbing systems.
o Researching, developing, managing, and evaluating contracts; experience overseeing and managing budgets.
o Microsoft Office (Word and Excel).
· Knowledge of:
o Policy and procedural matters, principles, and practices of building mechanical or electrical engineering.
o Construction documents and construction contract administration as applied to the principles of construction management.
· Ability to:
o Effectively oversee multiple projects/responsibilities concurrently and to respond to various managers and staff as requested.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships, demonstrate flexibility and resourcefulness in response to work demands, and provide functional design appropriate to the public sector.
· Strong oral and written communication, organization, and engineering project management skills.
About the department: The Hennepin County Facility Services Department provides a full range of facility services to support county programs and services. The department: • Identifies capital needs • Develops and manages new construction and renovation projects • Operates and maintains buildings • Facilitates a safe environment for residents and employees • Manages all real estate functions • Aligns work to county disparity reduction and climate action goalsAbout Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here. Invitations to interview will be based on an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a background check.