The Adult Behavioral Health (ABH) intake unit of Health and Human Services is seeking a Social Worker to provide assessment, planning and referral services for individuals with serious mental illness and substance use disorder going through the civil commitment process. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit employee referral program.Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 South Sixth Street, Minneapolis, MN 55487, and remote as job duties require. Work hours will be Monday through Friday, with typical hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin. New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022 to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.About this position type:This is a full-time, benefit-earning positions.This position is internally classified a Social Worker.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Engage individuals in assessment and planning with a person centered and culturally competent approach to determine a plan of action that arrives from Motivational Interviewing and stage-based intervention, incorporating their strengths, resources, and goals while considering referrals and recommendations for best level of care and service.
· Work closely with attorneys, Court staff, inpatient treatment teams, and health plans to assess, intervene and resolve a variety of time sensitive financial, benefit eligibility, clinical, and provider barriers to facilitate treatment and service referrals.
· Attend court hearings associated with the court case, meeting with individuals, family, petitioner, Court examiner, and attorneys as needed.
· Provide person and family (when appropriate) with information about general commitment process, determine network of formal and informal supports and offer to assist with notifying these supports.
· For certain court outcomes, provide direct service for 60 to 90 days. Duties include providing support for the person as they engage with outpatient mental health services and supports.
· Document all contacts with person, family, and providers in SSIS; complete transfer summary with plan/recommendations. Ensure all necessary documents are uploaded to electronic case file (ECF) platform.
· Adhere to ABH performance standards for productivity, time reporting, contacts and other documentation.
· Assist with coverage responsibilities on the ABH Intake team and keep Outlook calendar up to date.
· Keep current with clinical practice for working with persons with co-occurring disorders, including training in trauma-informed care, person centered thinking and motivational interviewing.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Licensed as a social worker by the Minnesota Board of Social Work.
o Bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, sociology, human services, or related field.
· Access to reliable transportation to travel to work sites throughout Hennepin County.
Nice to have:
o Working with the social service information system (SSIS).
o Working with diverse communities.
o Working with the electronic case file (ECF) platform.
o roviding case management.
· Knowledge of:
o Severe and persistent mental illness and treatment options.
o Hennepin County and community resources for mental health, substance use disorder, social services, and basic needs.
o The civil commitment process.
o Harm reduction and trauma-informed principles.
o Person-centered thinking.
o Social determinants of health.
· Ability to:
o Work well in a fast-paced environment with short deadlines
o Work well in unpredictable and challenging situations that call for sensitivity, flexibility, resourcefulness, and independent judgment.
o Work well in a group setting and be accountable to the team.
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. Bilingual candidates who pass a language assessment may qualify for additional bilingual pay and duties.