The Adult Representation Services (ARS) department is seeking a Legal Services Specialist to be part of a legal team that provides representation to clients in a variety of civil proceedings such as representation of parents in child protection cases, tenants in evictions proceedings, non-custodial parents in child support contempt proceedings, respondents, or persons subject to guardianship in guardianship and conservatorship cases, and representation of individuals facing civil commitment. The Adult Representation Services department provides high-quality, holistic representation to clients experiencing poverty in certain civil matters where appointment of counsel is necessary to protect a fundamental right or to further the county’s mission of reducing disparities and promoting the stability of residents. Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit the employee referral page.Location and hours: This position will be onsite at the Health Services Building, 525 Portland Avenue South, Suite 1000, Minneapolis MN 55415. Work hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with some flexibility.About the position type:This is a full-time, benefit-earningposition. This position is internally classified as a Legal Services Specialist. Click here to view the job classification specification.In this position, you will:
· Conduct assessment of client needs and develop appropriate service plans with clients.
· Provide short term counseling, crisis intervention and ongoing support to clients.
· Review case file and consult with legal team regarding trial strategy.
· Consult with social workers and service providers regarding dispositional and service recommendations.
· Refer clients to appropriate community providers and resources to assist in meeting goals.
· Act as client advocate in decision-making conferences and progress review meetings.
Need to have: One of the following:
· Bachelor's degree or higher which includes or is supplemented by 40 or more approved upper division quarter college credits in the behavioral/social sciences (e.g., psychology, criminal justice, sociology, etc.) and one year or more of experience performing duties related to the position.
· Forty or more approved upper division quarter college credits in the behavioral/social sciences (e.g., psychology, criminal justice, sociology, etc.) and two years or more of experience performing duties related to the position.
Nice to have:
· Experience directly working with individuals who are experiencing poverty.
· Experience directly working with diverse communities.
· Familiarity with databases and/or online tools.
· Ability to:
o Work effectively with external and internal partners.
o Communicate effectively both written and verbally.
o Communicate fluently in a second language in addition to English, both verbally and in writing.