Hennepin County's Transportation Project Delivery department is seeking a licensed Civil Professional Engineer to join the Design Division team. This position will be responsible for performing design engineering functions as well as all working through phases of project development for roadway reconstruction, retrofit, and spot safety improvement projects.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program.
Effective January 1, 2023, there will be a salary increase of 2.5% to the minimum and maximum of the range.
Location and hours: This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at Hennepin County Public Works Department facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340 (There is no public transportation to this facility), or in a field environment within Hennepin County, and remote as job duties allow. Currently, this position would report a minimum of one workday a week to the Hennepin County Public Works Department facility in Medina with the remainder being remote (subject to change in the future). A reliable internet connection is required to complete work tasks through a VPN connection. Work hours are typically 8 hours per day, flexible between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in Minnesota or Wisconsin.
New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.
About the position type:
This is a full-time, benefit-earning position.
This position is internally classified as a Professional Engineer (level II) in the Engineer job class series.
Click here to view the job classification specification.
In this position, you will:
· Prepare preliminary layouts and detail roadway plans for capital improvement projects.
· Perform, direct, and coordinate the development and review of engineering analysis, drainage calculations, special provisions, environmental documents, pavement design, safety analysis, and cost estimates for roadway projects.
· Serve as project manager on select in-house and consultant design projects and/or serve as a project liaison to city or Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) led projects on county facilities.
· Work closely with other jurisdictions, committees, and neighborhood groups to achieve project consent.
· Create, lead, and facilitate presentations and discussions at internal and external project-related meetings.
· Research and prepare complex engineering reports, narratives, charts, graphs, and visual aids.
· Provide engineering leadership and guidance to technical staff and consultants.
· Provide assistance as needed to other divisions within the department.
Need to have:
· Bachelor's degree or higher in civil engineering or other engineering field appropriate to the position and four years or more of professional engineering experience related to planning, designing, and implementing civil engineering projects using engineering principles and practices.
· Licensed as a Professional Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Registration or Minnesota License eligible within six months of hire.
o Leading and designing projects in complete streets, construction, drainage, environmental review, Minnesota State Aid/Federal Aid, plans, specifications, and estimates (PSE), project management, roadway design, safety, stakeholder involvement, and/or traffic.
o Supervising, coordinating, and evaluating the work of technical staff.
o With roadway design.
o Using MicroStation/GeoPak/Inroads/Openroads Designer, AutoCAD/Civil 3D, Geographic Information System (GIS), Microsoft Office, or equivalent software applications.
o Working with MnDOT and MnDOT State Aid.
o Design engineering on preliminary and final design tasks.
o Managing transportation projects.
· Ability to:
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other county, federal, state and municipal staff, public officials and the general public.
o Demonstrate examples of exhibiting high levels of organization and attention to documentation needs.
o Coordinate work with county and contract staff for successful project completion.
o Communicate and present technical and sensitive information effectively, both verbally and in writing.
o Read and interpret MnDOT Standard Design Manuals and Technical Memos, construction plans, specifications, and other written forms.
o Schedule, prioritize and balance several tasks.
· Knowledge of principles and practices of civil engineering.
About the department:
We envision a Transportation Department whose members are respectful of one another and the public we serve and are committed to the delivery of a safe, high-quality county highway system. We are widely trusted and recognized for innovation, collaboration and the responsible use of resources.About Hennepin County: Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at The Bridge (login as Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here.
This posting may be used to fill current and future vacancies. Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to pass a background check.