Hennepin County Public Works Transportation Project Delivery department is seeking a Senior Professional Engineer to work in the Design division to support delivery of complex projects within the county’s capital improvement program. The position includes providing all aspects of project management, engineering oversight and guidance to staff and consultants, coordination with external agencies, stakeholders and the public, and working with division leadership to coordinate staffing and project needs to ensure assigned projects are delivered on time and on budget. This position will also be involved with plan reviews and engaged in policy and procedural matters.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visit theemployee referral program page.Location and hours:This position is hybrid and will be performed both on-site at the Public Works Facility, 1600 Prairie Drive, Medina, MN 55340 (minimum of one day per week), and remote as job duties require. Typical business hours will be Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. but could vary depending on projects. While this position is designated as hybrid, based on current requirements hires must reside in or relocate to Minnesota or Wisconsin.
About the position type:
This is a full-time, benefit earning position.This position is internally classified as a Senior Professional Engineer (Level III) in the Engineer Series job class.
Click here to view the job classification specification.New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment. In this position, you will:
· Serve as project manager on consultant-designed capital improvement projects.
· Serve as project liaison for projects led by other agencies that are on, or affect, county facilities.
· Direct, supervise, and coordinate the development and review of preliminary layouts, final design plans, special provisions, cost estimates, engineering analysis, calculations, reports, and environmental documents for multimodal transportation projects.
· Coordinate development of cooperative agreements with other agencies; work closely with other jurisdictions, committees, and neighborhood groups to achieve project consent.
· Present and lead discussions about complex transportation projects to elected officials, stakeholders, and the public.
· Provide engineering oversight and guidance to staff and consultants.
· Prepare and monitor project budgets and schedules; and manage resources and consultant contracts.
· Conduct work requiring judgment in independent evaluation, selection, and substantial adaption and modification of standard engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
· Establish and maintain trusting working relationships with county and other agency groups, including other county staff, federal, state and municipal staff, elected officials, and the public.
· Participate and recommend actions in policy and procedural matters.
Need to have:
· Bachelor's degree in civil engineering or other engineering field appropriate to the position and five years or more of professional engineering experience related to designing civil engineering projects and implementing engineering principles and practices.
· Licensed as a Professional Engineer with the Minnesota Board of Registration or able to obtain a Minnesota license within six months of hire.