Hennepin County's Information Technology (IT) department is seeking a Senior IT Data Engineer to join the Enterprise Business Intelligence team. This position will collaborate with technologists from all areas of the organization and help the team define and expand our work. Our key candidate brings a strong technical background in the ELT/ETL space, excitement for learning, and the ability to elevate technical curiosity within the team.
Current Hennepin County employees who refer a candidate hired into an open competitive position may be eligible for a $500 referral bonus. For more information visitemployee referral program.Candidates must have a right to work in the U.S. that is not based solely on possession of a student visa or a visa sponsored by an employer.
Location and hours:
This position is remote. Remote workers may be required to come on-site 0 to 12 days a year for work meetings, trainings, or for any other reasons that their supervisor may deem necessary (may include additional days for onboarding and new employee training). Supervisors will provide as much advance notice as practicable. Work hours will be Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.Based on business needs of this position, hires must live in or relocate to Minnesota.New employees who are hired into remote or hybrid positions between January 2, 2022, to December 31, 2024, will receive $500 toward the cost of establishing consistent internet connectivity, payable upon completion of 6 months of employment.About the position type:This is a full-time, benefit earning position.This position is internally classified as a Senior IT Engineer - IT Database Engineer.Clickhere to view the job classification specification.At this time, employees may be eligible to receive an additional cash merit of up to $2,730.84that can be earned annually based on performance.
In this position, you will:
· Provide technical and analytical services for enterprise-wide data initiatives; build and optimize frameworks to ensure efficient data integrations, transformations, warehousing, data lake/fabric architectures, access, and retrieval activities; contribute and influence ongoing decision processes around data collections, design, methodology, data analysis, and appropriate protocols for cloud computing and security regulations.
· Lead IT department efforts that encourage collaboration with all county lines of business; meet with business leadership, IT, engineer, and analytics staff to thoroughly understand business needs and advocate for delivery of solutions that will bring value-driven change to the business and those they serve.
· Ensure data integrity through processing steps of integrations, transformations, storage, analysis, and visualization.
· Promote system development life cycle (SDLC) methodology, data governance, security protocols, data modeling, data quality, metadata management, and business intelligence best practices.
· Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex datasets; utilize data visualization tools to translate analytical findings into concepts that are easier for program owners and stakeholders to understand.
· Promote business intelligence best practices around data governance, security and quality, metadata management, data modeling, ETL and ELT, reporting and visualization technologies; stay current with data technologies to ensure Hennepin County Business Intelligence practices are in-line with the evolvement of consumer needs and technological resources.
Need to have:
· One of the following:
o Associate/vocational/technical degree in computer science, engineering, or a related information technology field and five or more years of information technology experience.
o Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science, management information systems, data engineering, business intelligence, data analytics, or a related information technology field and three or more years of information technology experience.
o Seven or more years of information technology experience.
· Current certification in a leading professional level certification area (e.g., Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA, Infoblox Core DDI, etc.).
Nice to have:
· Two or more years of experience administering tool(s) such as PowerBI, Cognos, SSRS, Planning Analytics, or SQL.
· Two or more years of experience developing reports in SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), PowerBI or any other reporting tools.
· Three or more years of Enterprise experience with:
o Developing ETL in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), Azure Data Factory, Azure Synapse, or any other market leading ETL tools.
o Managing data storage solutions such as databases and/or data lakes.
o Working with scripting languages such as PowerShell, PL/SQL, T-SQL, Python, R, DAX, M, or Kusto.
· Experience with database management tools and work processes.
About the department: Technology is the foundation of our work – and the work of every county employee. The Information Technology department is here to help our employees work smarter, faster and better. It is made up of 9 divisions: Business Solutions, Service Management Office, Architecture, Central Services Administration & Imaging Operations, Enterprise Development, IT Finance & Support Services, Operations, IT Strategic Alignment, and IT Security. About Hennepin County:Hennepin is the largest county government organization in Minnesota. Our employees work every day to improve the health, safety and quality of life for our residents and communities. All of our jobs align to one or more of our overarching goals -- that Hennepin County residents are healthy, protected and safe, self-reliant, assured due process, and mobile. Our employees receive a combination of generous benefits and positive workplace culture not found at other organizations. This includes meaningful work that impacts our community, competitive pay, work-life balance, a variety of benefits and opportunities to grow. Learn more at bridge.hennepin.us/eligibility (select Guest). Hennepin County envisions an organization where our commitment to diversity and the reduction of disparities is fundamental in providing excellent service to our community. Your future. Made here.This position may have access to systems or other documentation that may contain HIPAA data.
Invitations to interview will be based upon an assessment of education and experience. Final candidates will be required to complete a background check.